- To provide technical guidance to the Village Housing Projects.
- To undertake a comprehensive study of the setup, policies and programmes, targets and achievements, problems in implementation etc. of the various agencies connected with housing.
- To arrange housing surveys, in order to ascertain the qualitative and quantitative shortage of Housing in Kerala and to suggest reasonable housing standards consistent with the climate, topography and socio-economic conditions prevalent in the state.
- To assist the housing agencies in identifying and acquiring land for the implementation of housing schemes.
- To assist the agencies in obtaining institutional finance for housing schemes.
- To render guidance to the housing agencies in the implementation of their housing programmes (including scrutiny and approval of housing schemes) and evaluation of achievements against targets.
- To arrange research on indigenous building materials through the Engineering College & Engineering Research institutions with a view to reducing the cost of construction.
- To collect result on research conducted on building materials and construction techniques by the various research institutions and to make them available to the housing agencies.
- To set up a ‘Housing Information Service’ for the benefit of the Housing agencies as well as the public